If any of you read my blog from yesterday afternoon I was feeling a little less than inspired to go for my workout....as in seriously considering not doing it and going home and going to bed. A few nights of only 5 or so hours took it's toll and I was exhausted.
That being said I found some kind of motivation at about 3:45 that I was going to get a cup of tea and get myself out of my sleepy funk and have a great workout. I got everything packed up at my desk at 4 so after my 4-5 meeting I could grab my stuff and make the bus so I could get home for my Kickboxing class.
But it turns out fate, or life, or destiny saw it another way. Here is my story......
I showed up to the meeting at 4 to learn it was postponed till 4:10. We finally started around 4:15. We had about 18 pages of a document to review and here is where it all happened. We looked at the table of contents until almost 5pm......I could hear the defeat music in my head. It just kept getting later and later and later. Normally I would sneak out and explain that I had to leave for the evening....the problem was I showed up to the meeting to learn that I'd be leading the meeting so there was no possible way of escape. I finally got finished and out of the meeting at 5:45.....I'd clearly missed the 5:30 and there was no way of making the 6pm....I knew at that point I was done. By the time I got to the bus it was 6:15 and I had to wait for the 6:30 bus. Disaster. I knew I wouldn't be home at the earliest until 7:45. Here is where it got even a little bit worse. Because of the hurricane there has been road damage through several of the towns and because I missed the express buses it meant that I had to take the local....which meant lots of detours...which meant what should take 30 minutes took an hour and what should take an hour took almost an hour and 45 minutes.
By the time I got off the bus it was 8:10.......and in the first 10 minutes of the car ride home I used some very colorful words, which I won't repeat, to describe my frustration. (The problem with missing the 5:30 and the 6....the buses after don't stop in my town so I had to call for a ride).
Here is our ride home discussion, after I had cooled down from my total steam coming out of the ears rage that I had missed class....
Me: "No one will EVER believe me that I had to work late, they will all think I just didn't show up."
Paul: "Why would they think that, they will understand, everyone has to work late sometimes."
Me: "Well they might understand if I hadn't written a blog about not wanting to come to class."
Paul: "Well, why did you do that?"
Me: "Because I was tired and I just needed some extra sleep but then I changed my mind and I got really excited about going to class!"
Paul: "Sorry you missed it."
Me: "Randi and Debbie will NEVER believe me. I shouldn't have written a blog about not going."
Paul: "Sorry honey"
Me: "I feel like the boy who cried wolf or a kid who tries to convince the teacher why they don't have their homework."
Paul: "It's OK, they'll understand."
Me: "Thanks"
Once I got home the evening did improve. Paul had dinner ready and he let me control the remote....I made him watch Glee with me and then a chick flick. Paul gets major boyfriend points for last night.
However in the spirit of new school years starting for kids and in the hopes that perhaps Randi will understand here is my nod to author Jack Prelutsky and his poem A Remarkable Adventure.
A Remarkable Adventure
I was at my bedroom table
With a notebook open wide,
when a giant anaconda started winding up my side,
I was filled with apprehension
and retreated down the stairs,
to be greeted at the bottom
by a dozen grizzly bears.
We tumultuously tussled
till I managed to get free,
then I saw, with trepidation,
there were tigers after me,
I could feel them growing close,
I was quivering with fear,
then I blundered into quicksand
and began to disappear.
I was rescued by an eagle
that descended from the skies
to embrace me with its talons,
to my terror and surprise,
but that raptor lost its purchase
when a blizzard made me sneeze,
and it dropped me in a thicket
where I battered both my knees.
I was suddenly surrounded
by a troop of savage trolls,
who maliciously informed me
they would toast me over coals,
I was lucky to elude them
when they briefly looked away-
that’s the reason why my homework
isn’t here with me today.

Don't ever think I wouldn't believe you Dana!! You are a truthful person and we love you!! We thought you either couldn't fly home cause of Irene or that you might not have electric! Everyone was off this week and classes were really small. Let's get back on track for next week. Enjoy your holiday weekend and I'll see you next Thursday!
ReplyDeleteOooh and by the way... I love that poem!!! :)
ReplyDelete