Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I had a dream about Coriander

Good morning friends!


For those of you who don't know Paul and I have found a new passion for cooking. Especially Paul, who I hate to admit might have more natural talent than me. I am a great baker and do well with fancy
hors d'oeuvre like crab cake Soufflés and fruit tarts that require a lot of detail but you can't exactly live off of that. So with that in mind we have both we trying to learn some great basic recipes. Along with the traditional baked chicken, flank steak, beef and broccoli...beginner recipes we have been experimenting with other foods.
One of the passions we share is especially for ethnic foods particularly Indian curries, Thai curries, Thai noodle dishes and even unique Mandarin recipes. Interestingly enough one of the spices that almost every single Indian dish calls for and most Thai dishes call for is Coriander or Cilantro.
Coriander or Cilantro if you have ever taken a bite of one of the leaves has a wonderful flavor. I was just thinking the other night as I sat at the table eating my chicken and rice with fat free sour cream that cilantro on top really makes the dish taste fabulous. I was smiling as I ate my dinner thinking how wonderful life is with a little cilantro on top. Then last night still in my cilantro dream world I actually dreamt about cilantro....I know I must be loosing it.....but in my dream I was growing cilantro on my deck and trimming the leaves and cooking with it. It was kind of weird but when I woke up I decided to do a little research on the history of cilantro and whether or not it had any added benefit.
I of course ended up on Wikepedia, which as most of you know, may not be a reliable source but here is what I found.
Cilantro has Health Benefits! See the below section from Wikepedia for more information on the wonderful spice or check out the full article here, Coriander.

Health effects and medicinal uses
Coriander, like many spices, contains antioxidants, which can delay or prevent the spoilage of food seasoned with this spice. A study found both the leaves and seed to contain antioxidants, but the leaves were found to have a stronger effect.[15]
Chemicals derived from coriander leaves were found to have antibacterial activity against Salmonella choleraesuis, and this activity was found to be caused in part by these chemicals acting as nonionic surfactants.[16]
Coriander has been used as a folk medicine for the relief of anxiety and insomnia in Iran. Experiments in mice support its use as an anxiolytic.[17] Coriander seeds are used in traditional Indian medicine as a diuretic by boiling equal amounts of coriander seeds and cumin seeds, then cooling and consuming the resulting liquid.[18] In holistic and traditional medicine, it is used as a carminative and as a digestive aid.[19][20]
Coriander has been documented as a traditional treatment for diabetes. A study on mice found that coriander extract had both insulin-releasing and insulin-like activity.[21]
Coriander seeds were found in a study on rats to have a significant hypolipidemic effect, resulting in lowering of levels of total cholesterol and triglycerides, and increasing levels of high-density lipoprotein. This effect appeared to be caused by increasing synthesis of bile by the liver and increasing the breakdown of cholesterol into other compounds.[22]
Coriander juice (mixed with turmeric powder or mint juice) is used as a treatment for acne, applied to the face in the manner of toner.[citation needed]
Coriander can produce an allergic reaction in some people.[23][24]

Hooray for Coriander!

So, next time you are firing up the stove and preparing a great meal try adding in some fresh crushed coriander leaves or putting them on top for a great flavor and maybe even some added health benefits!

Happy Wednesday Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...