Well I'm officially back from vacation and getting organized again in my routine.
I was up in New Hampshire visiting some family friends and while I was there I had some relaxing lake time, my first lobster roll, as well as a crazy adventure hiking up Mt. Washington.
For those who don't know much about Mt. Washington is considered one of the deadliest hikes in the US due to the crazy climate and weather changes. They say that the weather can change on Mt. Washington within minutes and can snow any month out of the year. Half of the battle we found while doing the hike was having to pack cold weather clothes, rain gear, food, water, sunblock and other protective gear which put quite a bit of weight in our packs. The wind is also a concern as it can get up to 80 mph winds at the summit. While we were hiking it was registering at 60 mph winds which makes it a little more difficult to get to the top while the wind is howling like crazy.
From the bottom of the trail to the summit it took us about 6 1/2 to 7 hours to get to the top. From what we read and what we heard from people it takes most fit climbers and hikers around 5-6 hours so I was fairly pleased that we could do it around the same time. The hike I'll mention too is certainly not for the faint hearted, the route that we took wasn't in our original plan but unfortunately the planned route, Tuckerman Ravine, was closed in the middle so we were all forced up Lionhead at about the half-way point to reach the summit. Lionhead is appropriately named as it was a beast to get up. I have never seen such a steep and challenging trail. Both Paul and I thought in some parts it was more rock climbing than hiking. There wasn't a clearly defined trail in most places just markers that you had to scramble up towards. It was certainly an experience and although we did make it to the top looking back on it I was a little disappointed in my mental state.
I'm not sure if it was the heat, being tired, thirsty, or something else but I kept jinxing myself during the hike with lots of "I don't know if I can do this." "I can't make it any further." "I can't make it up this." "We'll never make it." Paul on the other hand was terrific inspiration. After you've been hiking for three hours and the trail continues to get harder and harder and you know you have at least 3 hours left you start to lose faith in making it. But like I said Paul knows me well enough to use supportive techniques like, "just one foot at a time", "we can do it don't worry", "slow and steady wins the race", and other really helpful and encouraging phrases. He even used a military technique that he told me later actually seemed to work for me. I don't remember what it was but apparently in the marines they use some kind of phrase about evolution, like "just make it past this evolution, one evolution at a time" where the evolution is a set or an exercise. He also made me laugh when referencing Lord of the Rings near the top. Paul was certainly Sam and I was Frodo.....crying about how we'll never make it and Sam was encouraging me to keep going. I know Paul was tired too but he just never gave up. He really wanted to reach the summit and afterward he told me how he would have dragged me up if I didn't make it and while no dragging was required I am glad that he forced me to keep going and finish.
I got to thinking after I made it to the summit that perhaps my body and my fitness level really wasn't as bad as I thought. I mean for starters not everyone can climb Mt. Washington and trust me I thought at a few points that it wouldn't be me either but I was surprised with what endurance my body had. Don't get me wrong as soon as we got to the summit the first thing I wanted to do was sit down and let my body recover. I sat down and enjoyed the view for a few minutes and then I got back up and felt fine. Even the next day both Paul and I were thinking that we would barely be able to walk but my legs were fine even after all the squats and lunges and climbing we did my lower body was fine and the only real sore part on me was my back, which I attribute to not being used to carrying a backpack with weight. I felt great and had a new inspiration to be fit. Paul and I decided that while it was tough mentally and physically we might try to go back next year when we are both fitter and hike it again now that we know what to expect.
I found myself making plans though for a fitter life. I kept thinking "Hell if I can climb up Mt. Washington for 7 hours I can certainly run a 5K." and "Maybe we can hike rim to rim in Arizona next!" I had such a sense of accomplishment and when I reached the top I was emotional, tired, proud, and really motivated to continue to be fit and loose the extra weight that I've been carrying.
I also felt that the extra weight that I've been trying to loose is both emotional and physical. While the numbers on the scale are certainly something that I'd like to budge I realized a lot of what came out of my mouth on the mountain was the can'ts and it when then I realized that's stupid because I CAN!
My journey to a fitter me has certainly been a struggle with rises and setbacks but I am more committed than ever to keep going and meet my goal. I know I can get there with more motivation and it is kicking the negative thoughts and keeping myself positive while I'm working out and dieting that will help me reach my goal.
I promise I will add in pictures from Mt. Washington so you all know I'm not lying. :0) Stay tuned and I'll post them when I get home tonight!
The next day after the hike Paul and I enjoyed the sun and went boating and swam in the lake. It was the perfect end to our vacation as we had to head home the next afternoon.
I'm sad to be back but my next adventure awaits....my weigh in on Friday.....(cue dramatic music).
Stay tuned for pictures from my trip!
Mt. Washington and a lobster roll
The best lobster roll I've ever eaten from a place called The Lobster Connection
Getting ready to head out at 8am on Friday morning with our packs loaded and ready
Paul, looking sharp in his day pack
Me in my day pack and hiking gear....(yes I know I look a little ridiculous but the best socks I had were ski socks that go up to your knee)
Welcome sign to the longest hike of my life
First mile of the hike we climbed up a significant way and enjoyed the view
There were beautiful little brooks and wooden bridges which were pretty
And about .3 miles from this point is where I almost turned back the first time. Notice we have already gone 2 miles and still have 2 left. (P.S. You can tell this part was hard as we did the first 2 miles in about and hour and a half or 2 hours and the second two miles in about 4.5 hours)
Yes, there is actually a ladder on the trail because otherwise there is no possible way up.
Coming out of the tree line
Just made it out of the trees. Tried to take a picture to show the crazy trail we hiked but you can't really tell how steep it was from this. But if you can see down below where those little white lines are is where we started.
You can see better from here the white area is where our car is and where we started the hike.....oh yeah and we still have another mile and a half to go.
Awesome view of the mountain next to Mt. Washington. It reminded us of something from Lord of the Rings.
Awesome view of the mountain next to ours
Desperately trying to get up to the top of Lionhead, the rocky area in the top of the picture
Finally made it up to Lionhead thanks to Paul and his awesome support
View of the top of Mt. Washington still to go on our hike
Only .9 miles to go....and as the hikers coming down tell us, it only gets harder from here
Making our way up to the summit
About .3 miles down of the last mile
Paul and I faking our happy smiles as we are trying to finish the hike.....at this point we have already been at this for 5 hours.
Getting closer and closer
A view of the last .5 miles of the hike which is basically how it looks, sheets of rock that you have to scramble up. You can see the top of Lionhead from here where that windy path is below too.
WE DID IT!!!!!!
Victory celebration with left over beef jerky, hot dogs, and coke from the cafeteria
View from the opposite side of the mountain. Looking at Monroe and Madison mountains in the Presidential Range.
Hope you enjoy my photos and are inspired to tackle a hike/climb near you!
Till tomorrow then!

No comments:
Post a Comment