Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Internet is a Scary Place

Hi Everyone,

So here is a little rant I need to get off my chest with regards to the internet.

I have decided even the most "helpful" websites are all scams in hiding. I was thinking about signing up for a website called Care.com as I was thinking ahead to Christmas and who doesn't need a little extra money for presents and things around the holidays and boy was I in for a shock. Here I was thinking...this is great....I'll put my name out there and see if I can get any babysitting jobs on the weekend in my town through this site and best of all it's FREE! My only mistake was instead of clicking the button for "Care giver" I accidentally clicked on "Looking for Care giver" so I was signed up as a parent accidentally. Luckily I noticed my error pretty quickly and sent them and email to their customer service department saying that I accidentally signed up as a "Care Seeker" and am really a "Care Giver" and got an automated email back saying they would get back to me. Then after some digging I actually found on their site where you can cancel your membership. So I immediately canceled and I must not be the first one to make the mistake because one of the reasons for canceling is actually, "I signed up as a Care Seeker and I'm actually a Care Giver" So I selected that as my reason for quitting and hit submit and my account was deleted and they informed me that my email account could no longer be used to sign-up with.

After that issue I decided to do some research which I should have done previously but I checked this site out through google and low and behold I found the Better Business Bureau cites that this is in fact a HUGE scam. I felt like such an idiot but apparently people have signed up and then been charged money for the sites use even though they say it's FREE. Luckily I did NOT give out any kind of money information just my email address which I might go ahead and change but boy am I glad I found out early.

I have decided moving forward that the internet is a scary place and even sites that seem like they are doing a service can get you in the end. I am hoping that they don't write me back about my mistaken sign-up but I have decided for the next week or so I'm going to keep checking back to make sure that I am deleted from their records. And if they do write me back and repair the issue I'll just go in and quit again and give them no more information.

Moral of the story = Remember that the internet is a scary scary place and I have decided that the ONLY uses I have for it these days is Google Maps, my blog, my email, and that is it!

Be careful out there friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...