Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, May 7, 2012

Muggy, Buggy, Hike and the Healthy Kitchen

Hello friends. I hope you all had a good weekend. I sure did. It was a mix of being busy running errands, cleaning, and getting some great exercise. Friday night Paul had to work so I spent a majority of the evening on my own just relaxing and making dinner etc. I also had a guy over to help repair my stove which hasn't been working and good news is while it isn't 100% repaired and he has to come back with a special part it's working enough that I can cook on it. After dinner I watched a little TV and turned in early, I was tired from the early morning swim. I got 8 blissful hours of sleep and woke up feeling refreshed.

Saturday both Paul and I were up early and decided to go for a hike. I was excited about the hike but man was it humid out. We found a new hike to try in our hiking book and loved it but with the humidity so high it was sticky, muggy, buggy, and at times kind of unpleasant. With the high humidity you were sweating up a storm and the bugs were out which were annoying because they were flying in your face and stuff, it kind of felt like hiking through the rain forest. I was just kind of uncomfortable. The other problem was it kept threatening rain so we tried to get through the hike quickly and Paul set a pretty tough pace on the uphill but I managed to keep up and was proud of how I did. It was a 3.5 miler and we did it in 2 hours. The hike itself was interesting it covered all sorts of different terrain and it made it really fun. The first section was brutal though. You walk across the street from the parking lot to the start of the trail head and it's just a straight shot uphill. The first mile was pretty much a straight ascent. It was also technically difficult because the path was wet from the rain during the week so you were slipping in mud and on the tops of the rocks so it was definitely a challenge. It was a tough way to start a hike and reminded me of the start of Mt. Washington where as soon as you see the trail head it's just up. At least after a mile though this part of the hike finally peaked and the next sections were a traverse of the top of the mountain and going down the other side. Then there was a decent to a lake and stream and then back up and out of a quarry. It was a tough one and the uphills were nothing to scoff at but all in all I was proud of how I did.

After we got back to the car we turned on the AC and cooled-down a little. Then one our way home we past our favorite farm and got out to pet the animals. They have these really friendly goats, sheep, and donkeys so we brought them some of buns kibble and carrots from home. After we got done feeding them we realized we were soaked in sweat and now smelled like farm animals so before we grabbed a bite to eat we went home and showered up.

After we got cleaned up we headed out to run some errands and stopped to have lunch. I had a veggie burger and a diet coke that was delicious. You could actually see the veggies in the burger like corn, carrots, celery. I wanted to ask what kind they were or where they got them from but I forgot to ask. It really hit the spot though.

The rest of the day we ran a gazillion errands and then headed home to put stuff away and Paul made dinner. He made a delicious Indian dish with lamb and spices and it was the perfect end to the day. We watched another Game of Thrones episode and went to bed.

Sunday Paul had to work and I had good intentions to go for my trail run but it didn't happen. In fact I had good intentions to do about 15 things that didn't get done. I got a handful of the things done that I wanted to get done but not nearly enough of them. I really just wanted the day to relax so I did. I watched a little TV, went grocery shopping, cleaned buns cage and spent some time with her, cut up some fruit for this week, and made a white bean chicken chili for dinner but I added a few other ingredients like 2 whole jalapenos with their seeds and a green bell pepper....it was super spicy but delicious. I also added in some turmeric and garam masala spice which gave it kind of an Indian flavor but it was delicious. I served it with basmati rice and Greek yogurt on top with fresh cilantro. After dinner Paul and I watched another Game of Thrones episode and just relaxed and went to bed early.

I felt bad this morning when I got up because I wanted to get so much more done but my week and usually my weekends are so busy that I just needed a day to relax a little.

Today is another day though and I'm plotting my exercise and eating for this week. I have been good about avoiding the scale but I almost stepped on this morning to check and see where I was tracking for Saturday but I fought the urge and didn't. I'll just keep on working on my goals of eating well and exercising 4 times a week and see how things go. The big picture is creating  healthy habits which I am trying to establish.

Actually one of things I did this weekend which sounds incredibly wasteful was I purged the freezer, fridge, and pantry of unhealthy items that were in there. I'm trying very hard to watch the amount of processed foods I'm eating and I'm trying to reduce eating quick meals like hamburger helper on busy nights so I got rid of them. All of them. I threw out stove-top I found in the back of the pantry, 4 boxes of pasta, and other items that I don't need and don't want to eat anymore. As a side note I know I've mentioned this before but I seriously, seriously, can't be trusted with pasta. It's not even a joke. I tend to binge on pasta because I am a carboholic so I finally just threw it all away. I also threw out the sauce I had too because knowing me I'd use the excuse of "Well I have all this sauce so I'll just buy some pasta" as a reason to eat it. And yes it is terribly wasteful and thinking on it now I probably should have just donated it to the food pantry but I didn't. It was almost an emotional exercise for me to see myself purging my kitchen of all of my unhealthy habits. I want to be healthy and lead a healthy lifestyle and that food isn't going to do it for me so I just threw it all out. It was kind of freeing in a way to rid myself of all the junk. It felt good. Now when I open the pantry all I see are canned vegetables, low-calorie soups, oatmeal, pancake mix (I almost threw it out because Paul and I NEVER eat pancakes but every so often it's a nice treat on the weekends), hot sauce, coconut milk, and some Indian spice packets.

The house is also now stocked with Greek yogurt, watermelon, strawberries, oranges, tomatoes, carrots, celery, lettuce, cilantro, peppers, onions, and fresh eggs. Yum.

Tonight I've got class with Randi and maybe a run before that planned if there is time. I'm excited for class again and a healthy day. More later friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...