Hello!
So to fill you in on what's been going on, I have been eating very healthy lately. I'm eating close to no processed food, more fruits and veggies, healthy dinners with lots of protein and I just started incorporating protein shakes after my workouts. Hooray! But one of the changes I've made lately is I haven't been counting calories. Instead I've been concentrating on body cues and practicing simple changes like smaller portions. The Result? I'm happier. I found that my attitude completely changed when I wasn't counting calories. I wasn't as stressed or anxious around food and I even ENJOYED it instead of wondering how many calories was in it. When I saw this huge shift in my attitude I asked myself, "why was I counting calories to begin with? why hadn't I been focusing on the food itself to begin with? when did I stop enjoying food? why was I so anxious? why was the number so important? was it really helping me? why was I counting calories at all?" The answer to those questions resulted in a bit of an experiment. And this is what I found out......(below are my notes over a couple of days of thoughts and research).
Calorie counting is insanely popular as is counting points, sugars, carbs, grams, or whatever the latest diet crazy in the media is counting. But was it really the media that had me starting to counting calories? Why was I concentrating on the numbers and not concentrating what goes in to those number in the first place? For me the answer was easy. I have always heard and even been taught that a calorie is a calorie no matter what you choose to eat. I have even heard from a nutritionist that you can eat a piece of chocolate cake for 300 hundred calories or you can eat a tuna sandwich for the same amount of calories and it is all the same because a calorie is a calorie and that is all that matters. But is that really true?
So to fill you in on what's been going on, I have been eating very healthy lately. I'm eating close to no processed food, more fruits and veggies, healthy dinners with lots of protein and I just started incorporating protein shakes after my workouts. Hooray! But one of the changes I've made lately is I haven't been counting calories. Instead I've been concentrating on body cues and practicing simple changes like smaller portions. The Result? I'm happier. I found that my attitude completely changed when I wasn't counting calories. I wasn't as stressed or anxious around food and I even ENJOYED it instead of wondering how many calories was in it. When I saw this huge shift in my attitude I asked myself, "why was I counting calories to begin with? why hadn't I been focusing on the food itself to begin with? when did I stop enjoying food? why was I so anxious? why was the number so important? was it really helping me? why was I counting calories at all?" The answer to those questions resulted in a bit of an experiment. And this is what I found out......(below are my notes over a couple of days of thoughts and research).
Calorie counting is insanely popular as is counting points, sugars, carbs, grams, or whatever the latest diet crazy in the media is counting. But was it really the media that had me starting to counting calories? Why was I concentrating on the numbers and not concentrating what goes in to those number in the first place? For me the answer was easy. I have always heard and even been taught that a calorie is a calorie no matter what you choose to eat. I have even heard from a nutritionist that you can eat a piece of chocolate cake for 300 hundred calories or you can eat a tuna sandwich for the same amount of calories and it is all the same because a calorie is a calorie and that is all that matters. But is that really true?
![]() |
| Source |
![]() |
| Source |
Enter my meal experiment. I set up a test that looked at my real meal from yesterday against the worst possible meal I could come up with for my Test meal. Let's start with looking at my meal from yesterday.
Breakfast: 2 egg omelet (no water
or milk added) with 2 slices of cheese and black pepper and
1/2 cup of low-fat cottage cheese
and a banana
Lunch: Left over Chicken and Tomato
stew with spices and Basmati rice
Snack: Carrots with Greek yogurt dip
Preworkout Snack: Handful of whole
wheat braided pretzel sticks (4 or 5)
Dinner: Paneer Masala with Peas and
Basmati Rice (Paneer is Indian cheese similar to cottage cheese, and Masala
means it has a tomato base with low-fat yogurt or light cream to give it a rich
flavor).
Calorie wise I have NO IDEA how many
calories this is (because I wasn't counting) but I know my typical breakfast like this is usually around 400-ish. Lunch was probably around 400 and dinner was
probably a little higher maybe around 700 with 200ish calorie snacks. All
together it probably fell around 1750-1850 calories.
Now let's look at the test day.
Breakfast: Sausage McMuffin Meal -
640 calories
Lunch: Pizza 1 slice – 250-300
calories
Snack: Chips 1 bag - 150 calories
Dinner: 2 McDonald's Cheeseburgers -
600 calories
Snack: 1 Light beer - 64 calories
Snack: 1 Light beer - 64 calories
This test day averages out to 1704.
In total this test day is technically
LESS calories than my day above but is this really the same as what I ate? Are
these calories really the same as my real day in calories?
![]() |
| Source |
Based on the rule a calorie is a calorie the test day is technically lower in calories so it's better for me and my weight loss goals, right?
Here's what I discovered.
While calories lead to weight-loss or gain it is important to remember that aside from calories what the food you eat does to your body over the longer-term is just as important. Ingredients in unhealthy foods like high levels of fats, sugars, and cholesterol can lead to health problems such as diabetes, IBS, certain types of cancer, heart disease, stroke and others.
That was certainly reason enough for me to step away from counting calories ONLY and not paying attention to nutrition or the long-term effect the food I was eating had on my body. But what about the short-term?
So, I looked back at my "healthy" day of meals again, and I actually thought back to how it made my body feel. What I noticed was I felt full, energetic, and was able to concentrate. While I didn't eat exactly what was on the test day for comparison I've had days where I indulged in a couple unhealthy meals and I remember not feeling well. I felt nauseated, bloated, and uncomfortable even though on some of those days I technically stayed in my limit for calories for the day and was "in the green" on the counting calorie ap. It was at that point that I realized understanding your body and feeding it nutrient rich meals is just as important as how many calories you are getting.
Here's what I discovered.
While calories lead to weight-loss or gain it is important to remember that aside from calories what the food you eat does to your body over the longer-term is just as important. Ingredients in unhealthy foods like high levels of fats, sugars, and cholesterol can lead to health problems such as diabetes, IBS, certain types of cancer, heart disease, stroke and others.
That was certainly reason enough for me to step away from counting calories ONLY and not paying attention to nutrition or the long-term effect the food I was eating had on my body. But what about the short-term?
So, I looked back at my "healthy" day of meals again, and I actually thought back to how it made my body feel. What I noticed was I felt full, energetic, and was able to concentrate. While I didn't eat exactly what was on the test day for comparison I've had days where I indulged in a couple unhealthy meals and I remember not feeling well. I felt nauseated, bloated, and uncomfortable even though on some of those days I technically stayed in my limit for calories for the day and was "in the green" on the counting calorie ap. It was at that point that I realized understanding your body and feeding it nutrient rich meals is just as important as how many calories you are getting.
So I started concentrating LESS on the calories in my meals and focused MORE on feeding my body a balanced diet and picking up on her cues. A few days after that I officially jumped OFF the calorie counting band-wagon and started listening to my body full-time.
As a last thought what I've learned in this experience/experiment is: I don't need to count calories, but I should make all my calories count nutritionally.
In other words I am going to pay attention to the nutrition I'm giving my body and will listen to my body for cues.
I feel like that is one of the fundamental
problems I had with calorie counting—I lost the idea of, food = nutrition somewhere along the way. Instead I was basing my choices on
meals with X amount of calories.





No comments:
Post a Comment