Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Friday, June 29, 2012

Holy HIIT

Let me just start by saying everything hurts. Seriously. EVERYTHING.

I could barely tie my shoes this morning because my body was so incredibly sore.

Last night, true to form, Randi gave us one hell of a workout. We did Tabata training which is high intensity interval training  (HIIT).

It felt like death.

Seriously, I thought I one point I'd either throw up, pass-out, or just plain die.

The rotation we did consisted of 8 items which were,
  • Lashing
  • Fast squats with 20 lb. weights
  • Push-ups
  • Burpies with a 5 lb. shoulder press
  • Box hops
  • Back alternating lunges with 20 lb. weights
  • Hammer curls with 12 lb. weights
  • Plank rows with 8 lb. weights

Like I said, DEATH.

During Tabata training you work out at a high intensity where you push yourself at 100% for a given amount of time and then you "recover" for a select amount of time usually half the 100% time.

We did the above exercises for 20 seconds at 100% followed by a 10 second "recovery" where we ran over to our next activity. Once we finished the 8 items we then immediately hit the floor for abs and arms. Once that was finished we had a few seconds to grab a drink and do it all over again.

www.Tabatatraining.org does a great job of explaining this, 
“Tabata” is the name of a particular type of workout program that provides similar health benefits to that of cardio workouts, but Tabata has a bit more spice. Instead of hours upon hours or exercise, Tabata can be completed in 4 minutes.  

Any exercise can be incorporated into the Tabata training. However the basic outline of the Tabata training method are as follows:
•     4 minutes long (whole Tabata Session)
•     20 seconds of intense training
•     10 seconds of rest
•     Total of 8 sessions or rounds

For more information on Tabata training visit their site HERE.


We did our circuit only 3 times but by then we had had it. I know I tend to exaggerate sometimes about the workouts I do being difficult but I'm not even kidding when I say how hard it was. I was huffing and puffing like I had a pack a day habit (which I don't) and I was sweating so much my hand kept sliding out of my side plank when we went to the mat on the floor. It was unreal.

While doing it all I was thinking was, 
"Please don't throw up, please don't throw up"
 "Holy Sh*t this is hard"
 "I think I'm dying, I think I'm seriously dying"

It was THE most strenuous workout I've ever done. I have never pushed so hard in a workout before in my life....at least that I can remember.

I would definitely recommend it to people who want to give it a try because it is very different from other workouts but make sure you are prepared for it and of course if you are new to starting to exercise talk to your doctor before you begin.

All-in-all I liked it because I really felt like I was working hard but I will definitely need some more practice!
Till later friends!

P.S. Don't forget to sign-up to enter my Healthy Give Away Contest! Check it out HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...