Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Friday, April 6, 2012

The Art of Dodgeball

Hello Everyone,

Well after a rough night last night which you can read about in yesterdays post, it is back to work and back to being focused on my weight and weight loss journey.  I mentioned briefly in yesterdays post and in a post a few weeks ago after my Nana died, that life just LOVES to throw you curve balls and see if they can peg you in the freaking face. Only difference is this time I'm catching the ball, chucking it back, and saying, "Bring It On!"

Which reminds me of the gym class game of torture, called dodgeball. Most people have played dodgeball at some point in life and when I was in school it was the rainy day gym class standby if we couldn't go outside. If you don't know the game it's basically where you throw balls at the other side of the gym and try to peg kids to get them out. If they catch the ball you throw you are automatically out. I always felt like it was a torture because the balls weren't that soft and getting hit in the face by some 14 year old boy on speed kind of sucks; but we won't discuss my traumatic dodgeball past here.

The reason I bring it up is because in the last 24 hours I feel like I have been getting pegged in the face by life and weight-loss willpower. It started last night—a pop-quiz on emotional eating—which if it was a school grade, I'll say I got a C, not great, but I at least I didn't fail. Then this morning I was looking for honey and I found Nutella instead. As a side note, if you don't know Nutella and are trying to stay healthy, fit, and at a healthy weight don't even try it because you'll love it.


They say that it is hazelnut spread with skim milk and cream but basically it tastes like chocolate and it's delicious so do yourself a favor and if you find it in the cupboard or at the grocery just put it back and pretend you didn't see it. You will thank me in the end. Now if I had that very same willpower that I just mentioned I would have done just what I said and put it back, but I didn't. I instead spread a tiny amount on my muffin this morning, I'm guessing it was less than a Tbsp., and I'm not going to lie it was delicious. Point 1 Nutella.

Then I got to work and had a 9:30am meeting. The problem was there was food at the meeting and I'm not talking about fruit and yogurt, it wasn't even toast, not even bagels, it was probably the single WORST thing you could put in your mouth. It was egg and cheese pork rolls on a bagel!!!! So that's basically a full fat and carb loaded bagel with fried eggs, fatty cheese, and a ham/pork slice. In NJ it's either call taylor ham or pork roll but I think it's a regional thing. I'm not sure you can get it everywhere in the US but it's like having bacon or ham or sausage on a breakfast bagel ie, TERRIBLE for you. Oh but they did have another option for the vegetarian people which was GIGANTIC kaiser rolls, seriously probably the size of my head, with an inch of butter on them. Yup, those were my options.

Now granted if I had run a marathon this morning maybe I would have had one but I don't really feel like running a marathon to burn the calories in that off and I surely don't want it to contribute to my already sizable rump and thighs so I politely declined the option to eat anything and stayed as far away as possible from it. It was hard too because I was the ONLY person not eating anything. Every single person ate something but me. It was HARD. Regardless of the fact that I already had a great, filling breakfast, and I wasn't hungry it's still hard to fight that temptation when EVERYONE else is eating; It's like food peer pressure. But I was proud for declining because I know what's in those, I know I don't want to eat it because it will ruin my calories for the day, and like I said above I'm more determined than ever to take the ball and chuck it right back in Life's face. Bring It! Point 1 Dana.

Entering lunch time or the 2nd half I was tied up at 1-1 for the day. I had just come from a great Fit For Summer meeting where I shared my knowledge about the myfitnesspal ap and also the device called FitBit. I personally don't see the need of that particular device but I shared what the device does and how it works because you never know maybe one of my coworkers will try it out. Plus, I was excited to share my exercise and diet knowledge with the group. I'm actually fairly knowledgeable on the subject, whether I actually practice what I preach is an entirely different animal. :0)



So after work I went home and changed clothes and had a small bowl of cereal before Randi's class because I was starving. Randi's class was awesome as usual and we did a killer lower body routine. It was strength training with bosu and treadmill cardio bursts. It was a tough one but I felt great sweating it out. I've really been enjoying my workouts this week and it just reminds me how I feel better and my mood truly improves by getting in my daily exercise. Dinner was not too bad. I made a small plate of bangers and mash with stir fried onions and it was wonderful. It was just enough to satisfy. The banger was around 260 calories which was a little high but the instant mashed potatoes and onion were lower in calories so I netted out around 450 or 500 which is a respectable amount since dinner is typically my largest meal of the day. Point Dana to round out the evening with a 3-2 lead. Victory = Dana! Woo Hoo! Take that Life!

Weight loss is truly something that requires, motivation, determination, a certain amount of will power, and just the ability to not loss it all or throw in the towel when life throws a ball in your face. :0) More tomorrow friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...