Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Friday, April 20, 2012

Running Without Hamstrings

Hello friends,

Let me just start off by saying I totally killed it in class last night. It started great; Randi said to really push ourselves in the warm-up so I busted out a mile on the treadmill in about 11:20 which I was actually pretty happy with. Randi then upped the torture for last night and after the treadmill warm-up we did what seemed like endless curtsy lunges, squats, and other leg maddening exercises....not to mention we had heavy weights, (I took 12's). To give you an idea of how hard it was I almost started crying at the end....I'm totally serious too....which was ironic because I was wearing a shirt that said "Sweat is your body crying for mercy" and I was literally almost crying.

We did this one exercise with the bands for squats and leg lifts and I was laughing/crying towards the end and just saying...."Ahhhh, It burns!!!!" But I tried to hold back the tears because who cries while exercising....other than me I guess. ;0) It was insane the fatigue I had in my legs towards the end. We did one-legged dead lifts and my legs were so fatigued that I could hardly balance to do the exercise.

After the legs workout we got on the floor and did some ab twists with a medicine ball. I had a 14 pound one.....it was heavy. Then we did some pike, planks. That's where you start in a plank on your forearms and push up into a pike and go back down to the plank etc. I didn't use a mat which was fine because we were on carpeted floor but when I got home I realized it gave me terrible rug burn on my arms. Ouch.

Once I got home I tried to stand up for as long as possible because I knew as soon as I sat down I was going to stiffen up. I managed to do OK until I went to bed and then the stiffness set in. I felt terrible all night and kept waking up and tossing and turning because my legs were sore. The squats also irritated my hip so it was sore enough that I couldn't sleep on my left side which I usually do. A smart person would have gotten up, taken some pain killers, and gone back to bed, but I didn't. So I woke up sore, tired, and just kind of meh.

That being said one of the things we talked about in my Fit For Summer meeting yesterday was asking yourself questions about diet and exercise to help motivate you and one of them was, "When you are thinking about missing a workout, think about how you will feel if you miss it." That one stuck out to me because I always feel terrible about missing a workout so even though I was SUPER sore and stiff I dragged myself out of bed and got my running shoes on.

Today's Run
It was just a bad run from the beginning. My Forerunner wasn't working for the first .4 miles so I had to stop and restart it. I felt like crap the whole time my legs were screaming at me and super sore. After I restarted my watch I decided to switch to walking/jogging intervals which was heavier on the walking than the jogging but I slugged out another .50 before I stopped to turn around and go home. On the way back it was pretty much a walk which got me so frustrated. My hamstrings were absolutely killing me from the deadlifts last night and it go to the point where I could barely move while jogging. I never realized just how important functioning hamstrings were while running until this morning. It was just a rough run, it was painful, frustrating, disappointing, and a series of other emotions. I tried to keep up the intervals on the loop home but decided that if walking was all I could do it was better than nothing.

When I was about .4 away from the house I was really discouraged but remembered that a wise man once told me, "There is no such thing as a bad workout. A bad workout is NO workout at all. It doesn't matter how fast, slow, far, or short you go what makes a difference is you are out there doing it and NOT GIVING UP."
Good advice huh.
Source

So I kept that in mind and walked the last .4 back to the house. Once I got inside I laid down for a full body stretch and some leg and back stretches and felt about 90 years old because I could hardly get up off the floor afterwards.

All-in-all I tried to remember that a bad workout would have been not going at all because I was sore but I managed to get in 2.26 which is probably more like 2.46 or so since it didn't register for the first couple 10ths.


Today's Run Stats
Distance: 2.26
Average pace: 15:21
Max pace: 9:33
Time: 34:40
299 calories burned

So I'm being positive that I still managed a max pace of under 10 which is awesome and just dealing with the average pace which isn't so bad. Big picture is I got out there and I didn't miss a workout I just adjusted as I needed and still managed to get something in. :0)

Source
 The rest of the morning was good I had a protein filled breakfast with a cup of coffee and popped a couple advil so hopefully my sore muscles don't get worse. I may even ice tonight when I get home. I wanted to ice this morning but I ran out of time so I may do it tonight. Ahhhh....icing my ankles, knees, and hip on a Friday night.....what an exciting life I do lead. ;0)

This weekend I'm in the Pocs with Paul for some R&R. I'm going do a little research today to pick out a flatter running course for tomorrow and I'll make sure to blog Sunday when I get back.

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...