Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Going Poolside

Well hello friends.

First and foremost just in case you were wondering, I DID managed to keep my promise to myself of trying the same route run again last night that I did yesterday morning. I got home, put on my clothes, and just did it as soon as possible so I could just get it in and be done for the evening. While doing the run I made a couple very interesting observations.

1. I ran at a faster pace later in the day vs. in the morning
2. Even though I ran faster, I couldn't run as far as I did in the morning
3. My body was tired at the end of the run and I felt fatigued rather than refreshed which I feel in the morning

All-in-all I was pleased with my run because, 1. I actually did it. 2. I listened to my body and when I needed a breather or to walk for a second I let myself. and 3. I remembered at the end that getting out there is a healthy decision no matter how I did. :0)

The rest of the night was pretty relaxing. I took a shower while Paul cooked dinner and iced my hip on the couch for a few minutes. Then we had an AMAZING Indian meal with chicken that Paul cooked. It was so flavorful with all these delicious spices. Yum. After dinner we cleaned up, got our comfy clothes on, and started watching a new series. I'm sure you have all seen it and are faithful followers but I was a little late on board with this one, I also don't have HBO but we ordered season 1 of Game of Thrones on Netflix and started watching. I won't lie we were both a little lost in the first couple episodes but that being said it was entertaining and interesting so we'll be watching more I'm sure.

We turned in around 10:30 and I got 7 blissful hours of sleep. :0) Then it was up at 5:15 to head to the gym. I decided yesterday that since I'm missing my classes with Randi while she's on vacation I'd go to the gym and get back in the pool for some low impact swimming which would help give my hip a rest. I have to admit when I put my suit on this morning at home I was REALLY self conscience about how I looked but I just kind of shrugged it off and reminded myself that the goal of living a healthier lifestyle is also to look better in a suit. So I just didn't think about it and headed to the pool.

It has been a LONG time since I've been in a pool for exercise so I was really nervous. Especially since it was crowded, like really crowded, in the pool this morning. They have 6 lanes and they mark them with markers for slow, medium, and fast lanes. You pick which lane you should be in and usually share with another person. But as fate would have it when I walked in the only real available space was in the fast lane with another swimmer already in the water. I was nervous but decided to be smart about it and timed her 25 to see how fast she was swimming. After a minute or two I decided that I could probably do just fine in that lane, so I hopped in and went for it. Turns out she was quite a bit slower than I was and I actually got a little annoyed towards the end because she really shouldn't have been in the fast lane but honestly it was the self confidence boost in my own swimming that I needed so it worked out really well.
Source

I had originally planned to go for (2) 500's with a 1:30 break in the middle but I ended up doing a series of 100s. So here's what my workout looked like.

WU - 50 Swim
(5) 150 sets - 100 - Pull  50 - Swim 15-30 sec. rest in between sets
(5) 100 sets - 100 Swim 15-30 sec. rest in between sets

I didn't end up getting a cool down which I wanted to get in. I was hoping for an easy 200 swim but there were people actually waiting for spaces in lanes so I decided to give up my lane to a guy who had been waiting. I was ready to get out and he was anxious to start so I went ahead and jumped out. I don't have a good idea of time for my workout but I think it was about 40 minutes. In the 40 minutes I swam a 1,250 which is 50 laps. It's about 70 laps for a mile so I was a little short of a mile but I was really pleased for my first time in a pool in a while and I know I'll be back. The people seemed really friendly too which was an added bonus. I think I might go out and get a new suit this weekend and I definitely think I'll work some swimming in to my weekly routine. Woo Hoo! All-in-all a great morning workout.

Once I finished my swim I grabbed my stuff and got home for some breakfast and changed clothes for work. I smell a little chlorine-y today but it just reminded me of the good old times. I really had a blast in the pool and can't wait to be back. I also felt like I really worked my upper body and my legs which is great. Now it's time for my morning yogurt snack and getting back to work. More later friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...